Saturday 5 October 2013

Wallpaper


My objective was to create a wallpaper for my college MacBook desktop. To produce this piece, I firstly had to create 5 - 10 objects of my choice in Adobe Illustrator, which I drew using the shape tools, the pen tool and the eyedropper tool to add colour to the objects. After drawing each object, I selected its components and then went to the object tab, and pressed group to merge the objects together. Once I had created 6 images, I decided this was enough as I was running out of time, so then began turning them into symbols.

To turn the objects into symbols I selected the images individually and dragged them into the symbol box, where I then named them and set the symbols as 'graphic'. 

Once all my objects were symbols, I created a new page and set the dimensions to 300 x 300 mm. I then went to the symbol box where I then dragged out my objects, and placed them around my page, resizing them each time and using each symbol at least 5 times. If I placed an object slightly out of the central canvas, I would select it, go to object, transform and then move, and either set horizontal as 300 and vertical as 0 or the other way round, depending on where I wanted the copied image to appear.(Before selecting okay, I would make sure I selected copy).

When I was happy with my finished piece, and I had filled the canvas up enough, I went to file and selected save for web which I then saved as a PNG - 24 and selected Transparency. 

Finally, I opened up Photoshop and created a new page setting the pre-set to web and the dimensions to 1280 x 2400. In Photoshop, I then selected the paint bucket tool and set fill to pattern. I lastly loaded my finished illustrator tile into the patterns box, and then filled my Photoshop canvas with a repeated pattern of my tile, creating my final wallpaper. 

What I admire about my finished wallpaper is how the colours all complement each other, as I have tried to stick to mostly, creams, greens, blacks, greys and reds. I'm especially fond of the vintage camcorder, camera and sushi, as these were the most challenging and time consuming to create but they turned out well and are quite easy to distinguish. Another thing I'm impressed with is how I've used a mixture of 3D and 2D objects, for example, the bed is quite 3 Dimensional, where as the camcorder is extremely flat. 

What I could have improved is the amount of objects. If I had more time on the tile I would have added at least 2 more objects in, and maybe scattered relevant text around my tile as well. I would have also made the images in my tiles smaller and added more of them; as compared to my peers my final wallpaper had a lot larger images and less of them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment